We had strong winds last night as the beginning of the big depression started to move to our area. Actually, ours was a secondary depression to the primary big one off the New England coast and forecast to move North Northeast. We are lucky that it is not headed this way as it has very strong winds in it. The Azores High is looking to re-establish itself on an axis between the Azores and the Bay of Biscay, and this is forecast to fend off the big depression. Actually, there are a slew of confused small systems between Azores and Biscay now.

We ended up with 2 reefs and the staysail and made a reasonable speed through the night as the sea built. The breeze is down some now and yet the sea is still up, so we are at solent and 2 reefs, with the next sail change being to the first reef.

The new forecast offers yet a new routing, back to the very far north route that is longer, but presumably faster. Within these routings one must consider whether everything that must occur over 7 or 8 days, precisely, will in fact occur like that. And if not, then perhaps a more conservative, middle of the road, route will be better, since it will be shorter in miles. That looks to be our approach.

It’s beginning to get a bit colder, so have put the 20 degree sleeping bag back at the chart table, replacing the 40 degree bag.

I’m ecstatic for Eric Bellion having finished yesterday, Felicitations Eric!

33° 12’N x 35° 31’W
32° True
10.6 knots
True Wind Speed
15.9 knots
True Wind Direction
Sails (click for diagram)
Mainsail (2 reefs), Solent

Winch Pedestal Revolutions (daily) Amp Hours: Alternator (total) Amp Hours: Solar (total) Amp Hours: Hydro (total) Amp Hours: Wind (total)
5936 2396 25,220 3780