Last night, with 25-30 knots of wind, we went down to the staysail and mainsail with 3 reefs. Into the dark night, the wind increased, until we had a steady 35-38 knots. Fortunately, we had the best sail combination up, our smallest sails essentially, before extraordinary jumps to the 4th reef or the storm jib. It’s not quite clear where we would be at a steady 50 knots for a sail combination, since our options begin to be limited. Nonetheless, last night’s combination was the correct one for us.

The boat was still flying with that reduced sail and 35 knots of wind, hitting 24 knots several times. With that reduced sail, there was really nothing to do on deck, so I went to the chart table bench to sleep. For the first time on this trip, or in this boat, I closed the cabin door. It made the inside of the boat slightly less noisy, and the wind and waves outside were closed out. It was good that way.

I had a freeze-dried Breakfast Skillet for dinner, as scrambled eggs sounded good. It was good. They are always for 2 people, and I go right through them. I sat outside in our seat under the coachroof and listened to the wind howling and the waves crashing, and as long as the systems continue to function properly (and yesterday was another major hydrogenerator repair) we will get there.

I had decided to go due east for a bit so that the worst of the next front might pass south of us. This cost us in the race by having us go a slightly longer route. Yet after the squall episode, I think I am being more conservative than even usual.


40° 56’S x 31° 59’E
112° True
15.2 knots
True Wind Speed
22.3 knots
True Wind Direction
Mainsail (3 reefs) plus Solent
Air temperature
66° F / 18.8°
Sea Temperature
60° F / 15.5° C

Winch Pedestal Revolutions (daily) Amp Hours: Alternator (total) Amp Hours: Solar (total) Amp Hours: Hydro (total) Amp Hours: Wind (total)
868 337 472 8095 1345